Vital Statistics

Birth & Death Certificates

Online ordering for Birth and Death Certificates is now available using our Vital Records Portal. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please get in touch with us at 940-761-7801 or 940-761-7802.

Vital Records Office is open to the public. 

 If requesting a certificate for 

  • any use for the State of Colorado or 
  • for Indian Tribal Card, then 
  • you MUST order the certificate from the State of Texas Health Department in Austin.  For more info on the ordering process from Austin DSHS, please visit their website at

Birth and Death Certificates

The Vital Records Office is responsible for filing births and deaths that occurred in the city limits of Wichita Falls. We can issue certified birth certificates for anyone born in Texas and certified death certificates for anyone who died in the city limits of Wichita Falls. These records should be filed with the Wichita County Offices for any deaths that occurred in the surrounding towns of Wichita Falls. Please call our office to verify before sending in a request.

All certificates issued from this office are certified copies of the original record on security paper that meets state requirements, which bears our Health Department Seal and the Texas State Health Department Seal within the paper. We do NOT use an embossed seal per the Texas Administrative Code Title 25 Part 1 Chapter 181 Subchapter B Rule 1813.28 –C- Security Features. The Texas Administrative Code can be found at

Are Birth and Death Records Public Records?

Vital records are not public records for birth certificates until 75 years after the date of birth and 25 years after the date of death for death certificates.

Types of Records Issued

Our office issues two kinds of birth certificates:

  •  Long Form Birth Certificate - This is issued to anyone born in the City Limits of Wichita Falls. These records date from 1926-Present.
  • Abstract Birth Certificate- This is issued to anyone born in Texas. These records date from 1926-Present. This certificate has the minimal information that the State provides. Abstract birth certificates may not work for passport purposes.
  • Death Certificates- These records date from 1917 to the present for persons who died in the City Limits of Wichita Falls. These records should be filed with the Wichita County Offices for any deaths in the surrounding towns of Wichita Falls. Please call our office to verify before sending in a request.

Who can Request a record?

You must be a qualifying applicant to request a certified birth or death certificate. We may require additional proof to show the relationship. When presenting a “Power of Attorney,” it must be specifically stated, authorizing the agent to obtain their records or a “Durable Power of Attorney.” 

  • Self (Person named on record)
  • Parent (Parent listed on record; if not listed, must present a valid court order stating parent-child relationship)
  • Step-Parent (Must show marriage license or other documentation showing you share the last name)
  • Grandparent (Biological parent to parent on record)
  • Children (Biological child to the person on record)
  • Sibling (Must share at least one parent. Parent must be on both person’s birth certificate)
  • Spouse (Must show a marriage license if you do not share last name on record or other documentation showing you share last name)
  • Guardian (Must show valid court order showing guardianship or conservatorship)
  • Legal Representative/Attorney (Must show an attested statement proving the need for protection for personal property rights when the legal representative is acting on behalf and for the benefit of the registrant or the registrant’s immediate family or other entity having a direct and tangible interest in the record. The attorney must present a BAR card. Examples may include an insurance company, mortgage or lien holder, searcher for land and mineral property rights, loan office, attorney for an opposing party, etc., so long as written documentation of a direct and tangible interest has been presented.)
  • Social Worker (Must present documentation indicating that the registrant is in their care. Suppose the registrant is in the care of an organization or institution. In that case, the documentation must indicate the organization or institution, and the social worker must present documentation showing they are working on behalf of that organization or institution.)

Please Note: According to the State Health Department, “Grandchildren" are not considered proper qualifying applicants to request birth or death records unless they are already dated as public records. Sometimes, this will not affect you, for example, when an insurance policy names a beneficiary. Please call our office if you have any questions before sending your request.

How Can I Send My Request

Click here to download the application and email or mail your request.

Please call our office to ensure the request is received.

Mail: Wichita Falls Health Department

ATTN: Vital Records

1700 Third St

Wichita Falls, TX 76301 

Or come by our office. You will receive a record as you wait.

Office Location: 1700 Third St, Wichita Falls, TX 76301

What is Required to Request a Record

  • All qualifying applicants must present a valid form of identification to request a record. If you do not possess a valid form of identification, please refer to the list of other documentation you can use. Please note our office does NOT accept the Matricula Consular as a form of identification.
  • When sending your request by mail, fax, or email, All parts of the application must be completed, including part 4 (Applicant's Notarized Affidavit of Identity). If the notary uses an embossed seal- the original application must be mailed in. If the notary uses an ink stamp, you may email or fax the application and copies of identification. Please enlarge and lighten all copies of the identification. Delays may occur if any part of the application is left uncompleted. You may download the application here.
  • Only the application and valid identification are required to come to our office. Our office is at 1700 Third St, Wichita Falls, TX 76301. For GPS purposes, 200 Broad St, Wichita Falls, TX 76301, will locate us.


  • Birth Certificates $23 Each
  • Death Certificates $21 Each -1st Copy
  • Additional Death Copies $4 Each
  • Letter Plastic Covers $3 Each
    Legal Plastic Covers $4 Each
Convenience Fee $3.50 All credit/debit card transactions are subject to. Unless the card is presented at the office

Expedited Shipping (1-4 Business Days Shipping Weather Permitted) $21

No additional fees for regular mail

 There is no liability on this office for lost orders through delivery service or regular mail leaves this office.

We accept Cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or Money Orders. CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED. All requests are processed within 1-2 business days of receiving them. Unless marked for expedited services, all requests will be sent back by regular mail. This office is not responsible for items lost in the mail. An expedited tracking number is offered for an additional charge.