Street Closure Permits



The City of Wichita Falls regularly receives requests to allow parades, races and block parties, house moves, and other events that require closing all or part of a city street. For more information, please contact (940)761-7640 or email at

Authority To Permit

(City Ordinance)
Sec. 102-36. Permits required for parades and processions. No procession or parade, excepting the forces of the United States Army or Navy, the military forces of this state, and the forces of the police and fire departments, shall occupy, march, or proceed along any street except in accordance with a permit issued by the traffic engineer and such other regulations as are set forth in this chapter which may apply.

(Code 1966, § 29-19) Sec. 102-37. Permits required for house moving. Upon the issuance of a moving permit, the house mover shall cause notice to be given to the traffic engineering department, telephone or electric companies, chief of the fire department, or others whose property may be affected by such removal. The house mover shall set forth in all notices the route that will be taken, the time started, and the approximate time of completion.

To Obtain a Permit (please note changes in fees)

An application for a parade, house move or street closure permit may be obtained from the City Traffic Engineering Department, 2100 Seymour Hwy., by phone at (940)761-7640 or by clicking on to the permit application links at the top of the page.  An application must be turned in two weeks prior to the event to get the $50.00 permit fee.  If the application is turned in less than two weeks, there will be a $75.00 permit fee.  This rate hike will go into effect October 22, 2021.  There is a $250.00 refundable deposit for the use of barricades or cones and $1000.00 refundable fee for the use of the barricade trailer.

Beginning October 8th, 2021, in order for the City of Wichita Falls Traffic Engineering Department to approve a street closure application within the highlighted Downtown area, click here to view map, the following is required:

  • CONTACT-Downtown Wichita Falls Development, Jana Schmader, 322-4525, 709 Indiana
  • LAYOUT PLAN-map with details of the area of closure

  • VENDOR LIST- if food trucks etc. will be included, copy of their permit must be provided.

  • RESTROOM ACCESS- If this event is NOT sponsored by a business, and if the event will consist of more than 40 people, outdoor restrooms must be provided.  One being handicap accessible.

  • CONTACTS – The applicant must contact all businesses/apartments that will be affected by the closure. A list of the contact person, their phone number and signature must be obtained and provided.

  • ELECTRICAL USE- nothing will be connected to the City’s electrical outlets.  A generator must be used but will not exceed DB maximum level of 65.

Standards for Permit Issuance

Each application is reviewed for public safety compliance and is issued only when the following criteria are established:
  • The event will not substantially interrupt the safe and orderly movement of traffic.
  • The event will not interfere with the movement of emergency firefighting equipment or ambulances.
  • The conduct of the event is not likely to cause property damage, injury to persons, to result in or to provoke disorderly conduct, or create a disturbance.
  • The event is scheduled to move from its point of origin to its point of termination without unreasonable delays.
  • All traffic control is the responsibility of the permit holder and must meet MUTCD part 6