Who may file a complaint in Municipal Court?

A complaint is a sworn allegation charging a person with the commission of an offense under either state law or a city’s ordinance.  As a general rule, anyone who is acquainted with the facts of an alleged offense may file a complaint in municipal court alleging a violation of a state law or city ordinance. Accordingly, if a code enforcement official or code enforcement officer did not see or witness the alleged offense, a citizen must file a complaint. In order for the court to act upon a complaint, the complaint must be sworn to before any officer authorized to administer oaths, including the municipal judge, clerk or deputy clerk of the court, city secretary, city attorney or deputy city attorney. 

Show All Answers

1. How many letters are sent for a code violation?
2. Can I get more time than what is stated in the courtesy letter to take care of the violation?
3. I received a letter for rubbish and trash but, I didn't put it there. Am I still responsible?
4. I have a tenant living in a property that I own. Can I get a fine for their violation of an ordinance?
5. Is there an ordinance prohibiting the parking of vehicles in a back yard?
6. There is a vehicle on my property that doesn't belong to me, how do I get it removed?
7. Can Code Enforcement Officers look over a fence to inspect a complaint?
8. Is a property owner or tenant responsible for mowing the alley?
9. Can Code Enforcement tell my neighbor to cut their tree limbs that are hanging over onto my property?
10. Is there an ordinance requiring the removal of dead trees?
11. How do I obtain or check on a building permit?
12. How can I find who the current owner of a property is?
13. Who do I contact regarding an inoperable vehicle on the street?
14. Who do I contact regarding basketball goals on the street?
15. Who do I contact regarding grass being blown onto streets?
16. What area is considered the right-of-way?
17. Who do I contact for vehicles that are parked blocking an alley?
18. What are the requirements to place a shipping container (conex box) on my property?
19. Who may file a complaint in Municipal Court?